I don’t actually, but don’t let me stop you.
Go for it. You do whatever you feel is right, or virtuous, or kewl. I won’t say you nay, or yay for that matter…because what I say doesn’t matter. You might be in a different situation – perhaps you are an American voter or an influential journalist or the Leader of the House of Representatives. If so, I will stand back and let you make your own mistakes. I meant decisions…did I say mistakes? I meant decisions.
For the rest of the world, it might be a more honest response to ignore the orchestrated hate exhibited for Mr. Trump and concentrate upon our own actions, nations, and leaders. We have far more power to raise or lower our guard, standards, or local political careers than we do those of Washington, Moscow, or Peking. That we do not says more about us than all our memes and protestations on Facebook say about the targets of our bile.
Look, take a break. Detest someone else for a while and give your Organ Of Hate a rest. Excoriate some African or South American robber-dictator. There are more than enough of them to give you a Miss Maud’s choice. You can do a hate du jour if you wish, complaining about a different regime each day for a month. You’ll end up sounding ever so much more cosmopolitan and kewl than just banging away on Donald. And you may make undying friendships amongst the migrants.
Or undying enemies. Your choice.
We’ll hole up in the loo.
In toilet land, we’ll make our stand
And I’ll flush with joy for you.
Conspire with me, we’ll paddle in the poo…
With apologies to Frank Sinatra., who was ever so much more sophisticated than this would suggest. But when you next hear him singing ” Come Fly With Me ” you’ll remember this parody. That was deliberate. I have a hidden, ulterior motive. Me and my Secret Organisation. That’s the Backstabbers Guild Of Australia…chapters in every state, contact us for best quality treason and evil doings, good rates, we issue receipts, no offer refused. Free Mwahahaha with every plot.
The conspiracy people are sure busy. They’ve managed to make a phone system responsible for lung disease in the minds of the gullible and will be looking for further customers for chem-trails and alien lizard monsters shortly. They’ll try to get their world wide web of the witless to warn you off any actual cure or vaccine for the current virus that may be developed in much the same way that they have tried to stop vaccinations against polio or rubella. Sadly for the world, they will succeed for some of you…though your subsequent removal by viral pneumonia and organ failure may make it easier for the rest of us to get out to the shops next year.
I think a conspiracy should be started that tries to stand on street corners and pass out whiskey. Or throws books through the front door in the middle of the night – preferably Victorian novels or new Dilbert books. Or sneaks up on people and puts sushi in their lunch box.
MAKE IT FIGHT ALL OF US.
A paraphrase of a wartime poster that pomoted unity in the Allied countries. And a damn good slogan for right now.
Get together with someone else who is alive right now and do what you can to keep them alive. If you are required to be in isolation – stay in isolation. If they are, figure out some way to make sure that they have what they need to be safe.
Don’t be a hoarder. Don’t be a chazer. Don’t take where you don’t need.
Don’t waste. Don’t squander. Don’t consume when you don’t need to. Don’t travel when it’s not essential.
It’s war – germ war. Death is coming. Austerity is coming. Fight the germ – not each other.
The enemy is not human, but you can be.
4. Driver’s license.
6. University fees.
11. New clothing.
12. Medical expenses.
14. Job applications.
15. Relocation expenses.
Welcome to the world of adulting, teenage justice warrior. You may not have time to march in front of the state legislature/parliament house/television cameras/iphones of your friends for some time as you are now required to show up and do something worth getting paid for. Hint: keep your receipts and pay slips as you’ll need them to pay your taxes. If you do not wish to pay taxes remember that there is always the Al Capone Option. They have closed Alcatraz but Leavenworth is still going…
You may note that I have left out marriage and babies from the list. You’ll learn about them when you grow up.
For that matter, what do they do when they are finally clasted…as every icon eventually is. Milli Vanilli went down in flames after they only pretended to sing badly. Had they lip-synched to the ” Horst Wessel Lied ” it might have been a fair cop, but as it was, the outrage over their pop antics was a little silly. However, it was effective – they rarely perform on the stage anymore…
Currently we have no end of entertainment icons floating about. Some, who may have been connected to dodgy politicians or procurers, are paddling as fast as they can for the horizon in hopes that the furore will die down behind them before they are dragged back.
Some icons are up there in the limelight right now; virtuous, visible, and vociferous – still rising and trying for the crowning halo of television publicity. I suspect that many of them are hoping the negatives have been burnt, the files deleted, and the receipt books thrown into the harbour. Some, like Einstein, may become beloved memories. Some, Teller and Oppenheimer may not be so beloved. And some may not leave a memory at all.
That’s known as getting away with it.
* Practise her scowl.
The opposition to the British BREXIT decision taken some time ago seems to have been set along party lines – as so many social questions are – and further connected to a number of interest groups. Whether they might be said to be special interest groups or not is up to the reader to decide. I counted :
- Some youth groups – who were horrified that the easy access to Europe for jobs and/or vacations might be compromised.
- Some immigrant organisations who feared that the nation’s gates would swing shut and prevent their clientele and relatives from coming to the UK and staying there.
- Some organisations opposed to nationalistic sentiments or actions of any kind – good or bad. Not ALL nations, mind, but the UK version was to be abhorred.
- Some companies who could see financial loss or inconvenience caused by having to move their headquarters out of the UK or their manufacturing plants into it
I’m sure there were many others, some with genuine concerns for the country and some with genuine concerns for their own concerns.
But have we considered that some of the opposition to an independent Great Britain may come from the rulers of the place? They have been used to a populace that does what they are told – they have been told what to do all the way from William The Conquerer to the last speech from the Crown Prince – and the idea of the locals getting free of the Germans and the French might start them thinking that they’d like to be free of the rulers…
You can’t sing ” God Remove Our Gracious Queen…” with quite the same poetry as the current words, but then you could always write a new piece of music to go along with it. I don’t think the British populace would think about this at all, but they could change their minds when Charles and Camilla ass-end the throne.
I have been pondering for some months about the whole Brexit situation – as an outsider before they voted, I could only speculate about the issues and frame of mind of the pro and anti voters. But as it seems to have been decided in the affirmative, I can concentrate more on the question of why. I’m still and outsider, but the question is now…Why did Great Britain vote to end its connection with the European Common Market or European Union? Here’s some possibilities:
- The new formation of a European army was a timely reminder of the last few times the Europeans have formed armies under Napoleon, Hitler, etc. and of what Europeans would like to do with their armies. There’s only one tunnel under the Channel but there’s always the Channel.
- The trade and farming regulations from Brussels that prevent some British farmers from working their land for produce and profit are a thorn in the side.
- The ready supply of illegal migrants camping in France and other places with an eye to getting to the UK and disappearing is a daunting prospect.
- The continued prospect of propping up spendthrift regimes and dole bludgers in the sunnier climes of the Mediterranean is a particular annoyance to people who live in the damp climate of Wales and other rural portions of the UK. They might as well spend the money on parish cases at home.
- Why not?
- The French have hated the English since the time of the King Henries. In the last century they dragged them into two world wars, and left them to play the last one out by themselves for years. Then they supplied De Gaulle to make it all better. The French idea of better may not be the same for the rest of us…
- The English do not trust the French or Germans. Or the Italians, for that matter.
- The loss of the Empire and the colonies was traumatic. But there was still the Commonwealth. With the EEC and EU experiment, a lot of the Commonwealth interest drifted away. If they Brexit the European door shut, they might re-open the Commonwealth door.
There’s no new political insight in there, but it does go some cynical way to supplying reasons. If it proves a bad idea – like the First World War or convict transportation – you can always blame the Manchester Board Of trade and the Admiralty. Or Trump and the Americans. But don’t blame them too hard in case you need Lend-Lease and Spam again.