The Little World – You Need Not Listen When They Tell You…

Do you remember when they used to tell you things? Like not to sniff glue or make sure that the drill was grounded before you ran it through the wiring? You always assumed that someone knew better than you and that they were telling you something for your own good. That was what they wanted you to think.

Pretty much how North Korea and your local Centrelink office do right now…and hasn’t that worked out well…

So now I am going to suggest that you cross the flux streams, cut the red wire, and make up your own damn mind about what to do with your hobby. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Case in point: I needed to paint the front of the Goldfisch Tivoli cinema on my latest diorama – a light blue with dark trimming. It’s a large fascia, and there was no way it was going to get done on one bottle of Tamiya acrylic paint – and no-one else had a light blue matt paint anyway. So I determined to mix my own, which is what they tell you never to do. Sort of like ” Don’t sail west Christopher, or you’ll fall off the edge…”.

Good cheap paint is hard to come by these days. If it’s good, it has a price tag that looks like a phone number. If it’s cheap it has the consistency of sewage. But you can indeed find the right combo if you go for the pots of sample paints that the good paint makers put out. They are tasters to let you get hooked on their big-ticket pots…but if you are a Little Worlder and prepared to do the old Dr. Chemistry dance, you can make them into custom colour.

I got the plain white Dulux in a sample pot for $ 2.00 off the clearance shelf. I already had used one on another structure and cleaned out the empty pot. Into this crucible went  1/3 of the sample white, 60ml of water, a little Tamiya X-20A thinner, and a couple of dollops of Tamiya Flat Blue. The important thing about mixing custom colours is not the exact shade that you get, but making sure that you mix enough into the pot for the entire job. Sacrifice 10 ml at the end if you must, but do not run dry at the last post and try to re-mix it. You will fail.

Okay, ingredients in place and shake mixing all done, it was time to apply the stuff. it was going on foam-core board that had been prepped with Tamiya undercoat so it was bound to go on fairly evenly. But there was no way I was going to try to thrust this soup through my airbrushes. Fortunately I had a set of foam brushes from Bunnings – laughably cheap trim items that you would think were just throw-away junk.

Not a bit of it. Given a medium thin mixture of flat paint, the Chinese foam brush is an awesome implement. I got even coverage and no bubbles. Easy clean up, and the brush looks untouched. All this for pennies!

The front of the Tivoli is done. The coat is great and the trim strips are setting it off marvellously. All-up it might have cost $ 1.75, and for the nollekins modeller, that is extremely good news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close